So… I have a confession to make. I was terrified of making these portobello burgers. There’s something so daunting to me about portobello mushrooms for some reason. What if they come out leathery, or watery, or bland? I would never post a recipe I didn’t truly enjoy, so I went so far as to plan a back up meal just in case. That being said, if you’re anything like me and scared to try it, let me tell you, your future self will thank you.
This Bruschetta Portobella Mushroom Burger leaves nothing to be desired! The savory mushroom pairs perfectly with the spicy garlic, fresh tomatoes, and peppery baby arugula– top that all off with a balsalmic-mustard sauce, and this will easily be your go-to substitute for hamburgers (or maybe even move that beef patty to second in line.)
Bruschetta Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Marinade (Not optional)
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp balsamic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 4 Portobella Mushrooms (destemmed)
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns
- 4 -1/2in slices of fresh mozzarella (I used balled and pressed them flat)
- 2 cups baby arugula (washed & pat dry)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp full fat Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Place portobello mushrooms in flat baking dish. In a small bowl, combine mustard, balsamic, olive oil, and tabasco. Mix and brush on top and bottom of mushrooms. Marinade at room temperature for at least 30 mins and up to 2 hours. Reserve excess marinade for sauce.
- Cut tomato lengthwise and squeeze out excess juice and seeds. Dice into small cubes and add to bowl. Add garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix and set aside in fridge.
- Remove mushroom patties from baking dish and cook on grill pan until about 3-4 mins on each side (until tender).
- Use reserved marinade and add 1 tbsp greek yogurt. (You should have at least 2 tbsp marinade left. If not, make 1/2 marinade recipe then add yogurt.)
- Toss arugula in 1 tbsp olive oil. For one burger, spread sauce on buns, layer mushroom, cheese, bruchetta mixture, drizzle about 1/2 tbsp balsamic over bruschetta, 1/2 cup arugula, and top with sauced top bun. Enjoy!